If you're like me, you enjoy spending time outdoors and want to incorporate nature exploration into your homeschooling. There are lots of fun activities that you can do with your elementary aged kids to get them excited about learning. I've put together a list of some my favorites that will have you both exploring and learning in no time!
Disclaimer: You may find affiliate links within this post for your convenience. See our disclosures.
10 Nature Exploration Activities You Can Do Today
Nature exploration is a great way to get some exercise and fresh air, while also getting in touch with the natural world around you. Here are 10 nature exploration activities you can do today:
1. Go on a nature scavenger hunt! This is a great way to get your kids exploring their surroundings and looking for items on a list. You can make your own list or find one online (here's a good one for beginners).
2. Visit a local nature center or park. Many of these places offer free or discounted admission for homeschoolers. This is a great opportunity to learn about the local flora and fauna.
3. Go on a hike! Even if you don't live near any mountains, there are probably some trails nearby that you can explore. This is a great way to get some exercise while enjoying the beauty of nature.
4. Have a picnic! This is a great activity for nice weather days. Pack some sandwiches and drinks and find a nice spot to enjoy your meal.
5. Go bird watching. This is a great activity for all ages. Grab a pair of binoculars and see how many different types of birds you can spot.
6. Collect leaves, flowers, and other items from nature. This is a great way to create a nature journal. You can press the items you collect or glue them into a scrapbook.
7. Go stargazing. This is a great activity for clear nights. See how many constellations you can find and learn about some of the myths associated with them.
8. Visit a farm. This is a great way to learn where food comes from. Many farms offer tours and allow you to pet the animals.
9. Go fishing. This is a great activity for kids who love to be in the water. You can go to a local pond or lake and see how many fish you can catch.
10. Go camping. This is a great way to spend some time in nature and bond with your family. Camping can be done in your backyard or at a local campground.
download your free nature Trail exploration pack!
Free Nature Exploration Pack and Activities To do with your kids
As always, get outside and explore! The world is a fascinating place and there’s so much to learn. Who knows what you might find when you take the time to wander around in nature? I hope you have as much fun as I do when you go on your next nature hike.
What's your favorite activities to do when you're exploring the great outdoors?