Remember how much you loved tracing, whether you were tracing your name over and over or you were tracing pictures through a thin piece of paper? I do, and I can tell you how much fun I always had tracing! And it’s the same nowadays with kids!
Kids just love tracing numbers. Tracing numbers is a great way for children to improve their fine motor skills, number recognition, letter formation, and it can also serve as extra practice with learning how to write letters and numbers. Here, you can grab a set of free tracing numbers worksheets for your sweet babies to print out!
Disclaimer: This post may affiliate links for your convenience. See our disclosure policy here.
Download the Printable Pages of These Free Number Tracing Worksheets!
Tracing worksheets for numbers can be a fun way for kindergarten students to improve their fine motor skills and learn how to write letters and numbers. Younger children tend to need a whole lot of number writing practice, which serves as an important activity for those small motor muscles!
Below is a set of free tracing worksheets for numbers that your child can print out and enjoy!
Tips for teaching children how to trace numbers.
When kids trace numbers and letters, it helps improve their fine motors skills. Number tracing worksheets are also a great way to practice good pencil control. Here are some tips for teaching children how to trace numbers :
- Start with a large number that is easy to trace
- Use tracing lines or dotted lines to help guide your child’s hand while tracing the number.
- Encourage your child to trace the number multiple times.
- Introduce practicing writing their name early on.
- Praise your child for their efforts!
Encourage your kids’ development of number sense and number writing skills
You can encourage your kids’ development of number sense and number writing skills by using different kinds of number tracing worksheets. Tracing helps improve fine motor skills, which is important as children learn to write letters and numbers.
Tracing numbers can also help improve your child’s memory and coordination skills as well! Kids will also develop better sequencing abilities through practicing the same number over again. This is essential in math, where kids might need to remember what comes next in a sequence of numbers.
Just be patient when drawing over the same line over again! Remember, this takes a lot of work for a little guy and gal using tracing numbers worksheets.
Here are some tips for encouraging your kids’ development of number sense and number writing abilities:
- Tracing activity worksheets, such as shape tracing and picture tracing
- Download the free printable worksheets pack with a set of number worksheets inside!
- Use fun pencil control worksheets when it’s time to break out those math worksheets!
- Playing number games to practice numbers, like missing numbers
- Learning the alphabet song (having letters correspond to different numbers)
- Singing counting songs like “One Potato Two Potato” or “The Itsy Bitsy Spider”
- Reading stories that involve counting, like The Cat in the Hat Comes Back or Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? or great Dr. Seuss book with corresponding activity sheets
- Doing math problems together as a family
- Use laminated name tracing worksheets to practice writing their name with washable markers
Numbers tracing and line tracing teaches basic math concepts of fun number skills when you use printable number activities, such as the number tracing worksheets free to download here (you’ll find it in pdf format). When students trace number words using practice sheets, it can easily turn into independent work to build that solid mathematical skills base.
There are so many different ways and ideas to help improve fine motor skills that teaches younger kids how to write letters and numbers, including using tracing numbers worksheets, such as:
- Playing counting games. Games like “I Spy” or “One, Two, Buckle My Shoe” help children build number sense.
- Playing games with coins and blocks. This helps kids learn about different values of coins, as well as how to count them all up! Blocks are also a great tool for teaching children how to represent numbers visually.
- Use a printable traceable numbers worksheet to make your own DIY math centers and literacy centers.
The Importance of early math skills in social, emotional, and cognitive development.
Mathematics is a critical subject that helps children develop many skills. In early childhood, math helps with the development of social skills, emotional skills, and cognitive skills.
Math teaches children how to cooperate and work together. When they are working on math problems together, they need to listen to each other and compromise in order to solve the problem. This is an essential skill that they will use throughout their lives.
Math can also help with the development of emotional skills. When kids are frustrated with a math problem, they often feel anger, sadness, or disappointment. They learn how to deal with these emotions and manage them in a healthy way.
Math is a significant subject that helps children develop many cognitive skills. For example, math teaches them how to sequence events and solve problems in a logical way.
Using a traceable number worksheet helps with all these math skills as well as important prewriting skills. You’ll soon see how well their handwriting and their math skills become over time from simply using letter and number tracing worksheets!
Free Tracing Numbers Worksheets (1-20) For Preschool & Kindergarten Kids
The process of tracing numbers is an excellent way to help your child build number sense, as well as teach them how to write their numerals. If you are looking for a fun activity that will also give your children the skills they need in order to succeed academically and socially, grab the worksheet!
I’ve made it easy by providing free number tracing worksheets with numbers 0-20 so all you need to do is download them at the bottom of the post below. Trace away!
- Free Weather Cards Printable Flashcards for Kids - December 7, 2023
- Fun Indoor Activities For Teens and Tweens – Rain or Shine! - November 25, 2023
- A Prayer For Mother And Daughter Relationship To Strengthen The Bond - July 13, 2023